HD formatting utils for DOS

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Wed Jun 28 21:57:38 CDT 2006

Chuck Guzis wrote:
>> Win 3.1x CAN be installed and RUN, as an application program on Win9x!!
>
> Yes, but how is that different from DOS 7 with a DPMI server installed?

It's better because a crash won't down the whole system :-)

Win 3.1 works fine on Win9x as long as you don't try any [386Enh] HD
controller-type swapfile direct access tricks (geez, I can't believe I
still remember the lingo.  Ick.)  And you do need one -- don't be
tempted to run without one because you will eventually run into problems
no matter how much memory you have.  (This holds for all versions of
Windows, unfortunately.  I have 1G RAM on my XP machine and if I try to
disable the swapfile entirely I get programs that hang -- stoopid OS!)