PeeCee clones; was:PCW's 25 worst tech products

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jun 28 22:58:28 CDT 2006

On 6/28/2006 at 9:39 PM Jim Leonard wrote:

>Yes, that is remarkable, but last I checked the PS/2 line doesn't have
>*any* ISA slots which means people had to buy sound cards, joystick
>adapters, SuperVGA boards, internal modems, etc. etc. all over again.
>At 2X the price.  That was a colossally bad move for the consumer
>market, which ended up driving the market the most anyway.

You've obviously never run into a PS/2 Model 25 or 30 or even the
"portable" L40.  ISA machines, not MCA.

I suspect the biggest problem with MCA licensing was IBM's rather Draconian
approach.  If you signed up as a MCA licensee, you paid royalties not only
on the MCA machines you made, but also on any other IBM "compatibles" (MCA
or not) that you manufactured.  That second part must have cost Tandy a
bundle.

Cheers,
Chuck