OT: Hex to BCD conversion for programs

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Thu Jun 29 23:12:37 CDT 2006

Richard A. Cini wrote:
>             I'm working on a real-time-clock emulation for the Altair32 and
> I need a push on something. Most RTC boards return a BCD value to the
> caller. When you call GetLocalTime in Windows, it returns an integer value.
> So, I have to somehow convert an integer to its BCD representation.
>             I thought about using sprintf on the integer and then returning
> str[0] or str[1] depending on if I need the tens place or units place.
> However, this seems to me to be an inelegant way of doing it.
>             Does anyone have any ready-made C code to do this that I can
> use? Thanks a lot!

You want packed BCD, right?

Horrible kludge but for something quick:

for (i=0; i<16?; i+=4) {
      digit = value % 10;
      value /= 10;
      digit <<= i;
      result |= digit;
}

There are much more elegant algorithms that you can write in
assembly language (but I've been told NO ONE uses assembly
language anymore so I won't bother you with those   :>  )