Scanning Microfiche

jim stephens jwstephens at msm.umr.edu
Mon Jun 19 18:25:20 CDT 2006

Zane H. Healy wrote:

> I recently noticed just how high the resolution is getting on the
> latest scanners.  Epson has scanners various scanners in the $450-800
> range that do the following resolutions 6400x6400, 6400x9600, and
> 4800x6400 Optical DPI.

I have two perfection pro scanners, one that handles up to 5 x 7 or
larger and the other that handles 4 x 6.  there is
probably no need for regular fiche to get a scanner that can do 8 x 10
in the epson line, because even
for aperture cards, which have the dimensions of holerith cards, you can
scan it with both of the above.

I scanned a couple of fiche which were from the war department / US
Navy.  They came out
pretty good.

they can be viewed on the page
http://vpb208.org/Diaries%20and%20Documents.html
as the fiche1 and fiche2 pdf links, and the "number one" and "number
two" links.

I scanned from the 8 x 10 raw documents images on the fiche, to the same
dpi as if I had
scanned an 8 x 10 page black and white at the same dimension.  Each scan
physically
scanned a physical area maybe 1/4" x 3/8" or so, maybe a bit smaller.
The fiche was
14 x 7 images app.  The epson's optical resolution is plenty high enough
as you
pointed out to accomplish this.

I had a reference grid in the software that allowed me to specify a
single scan area,
and then move it from spot to spot to capture each successive page as I
scanned.

The results went to tiff, g4 compressed, then to pdf.  The web site has
jpg and the
final pdf.  Each fiche took about 45min to 1H to scan this way to
individual images.

Jim