PeeCee clones; was:PCW's 25 worst tech products

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jun 28 00:05:03 CDT 2006

On 6/27/2006 at 11:36 PM J.C. Wren wrote:

>    Everyone seems to think every damn card, bus, and system made should
>be backwards to the AND gate.  Get over it, move in to the 90's.  At the
>very least.

If the PS/2 was AOL, then MCA had to be OS/2.   Good technically, but not
widely adopted.   Sort of like EISA.

I suspect there's not much life left in the "open up the box and swap a
card" idea, at least as far as personal computers go.  Increasingly, I'm
seeing people who have NEVER been inside their systems to add or upgrade a
card.   Numbers of expansion slots are decreasing (the system I'm writing
this on has a grand total of 3 PCI slots).

So, I guess if you want to be "up to date" on buses, you'd be looking at
USB or Firewire.

Although not PeeCee, there''s also PC/104, although very 90's, isn't much
different electrically from the good old ISA bus.

Cheers,
Chuck