Floppy-Disk-Drive ...

ADVolkov09 at aol.com ADVolkov09 at aol.com
Wed Mar 1 16:45:01 CST 2006

Hi Mr. Hoke,

I saw your posting on the web about installing an old 5 1/4'' Floppy  on a
new PC.

I got the same floppy ( TEAC FD-55GFR ) and would like to  know whether you
succeeded in the end, and how you jumpered your drive. I  get an E/A-Error
message from WindowsXP whenever I try to click on the drive in  the Explorer ...
but XP at least recognizes it as 5 1/4''-floppy.

Regards.

Alexey.

Hi - I am trying to install a Teac FD-55GFR 5 1/4" drive into a Pentium 200
mhz computer.  Upon trying to read the drive I get a "General Failure Trying To
Read Drive A" error message.  I have the drive connected to the end of the
ribbon cable, and the drive is designated as drive A.  Also, I noticed that
there are some switches (I forgot what they are called - upright posts where you
couple a pair together using a U-shaped something or another) on the bottom of
the drive. How should these switches be set?  Also, could my problem be that I
am not using a correct BIOS?

Thanks for all of your help.