an odd PC seen in a thrift store (?)

Chris M chrism3667 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 17:54:27 CST 2006

the 9801 was not an all in one though. I cant imagine
myself confusing NEC and NCR actually, just that I was
somewhat familiar with their PC4s, and it seemed a tad
different IIRC. It could have been the Decision Mate,
which doesnt look any different, and would also boot
to a cpm a> prompt (Im thinking so anyway). The thing
just somehow looked different...(I was hoping some
nerd who also used to shop their might subscribe to
this list).
--- cctech-bounces at classiccmp.org <Tim at Rikers.org>
wrote:
> Chris M wrote:
> > the talk of a peculiar USR pc made me remember
this.
> > There used to be a (primarily) electronic junk
store
> > in LI called Eldies (Edlies?) on Hempstead Tnpk in
> > Levittown I guess. Sitting there one day was an
all in
> > one, IIRC, NCR unit that booted up to an a:>
prompt.
> > It struck me as a weirdish dos semi compatible. It
> > didnt strike me as a PC4 or the nearly identical
> > Decision Mate (cpm). Pretty sure it was NCR, but
eh
> > maybe it was NEC (definately NOT an APC, not quite
> > that big and heavy). Anyone have a clue?
>
> The Japanese NEC PC-9800 series booted with A: as
the boot drive even if
> it booted off a hard disk. the floppies would become
the next drives.

> Was the text in japanese?
>
> I did software development on some of these models
back around 1990. All
> the M$ tools were available for them, but only from
Japanese dealers and