New Big Iron Acquisition - IBM Tabulating Equipment

Lee Courtney lcourtney at mvista.com
Wed Mar 15 11:50:41 CST 2006

> Does anyone know of another organization that has restored
> one of these?

The 1401 Project at the Computer History Museum has restored a couple of
unit record peripherals that are (relatively) more recent cousins. A 1403
printer and 1402 card reader/punch. Link to the project at
http://ed-thelen.org/1401Project/1401RestorationPage.html. I haven't been
involved with this project, but was on the 1620 Restoration Project.

Nice find, but too bad they are in such poor condition. Looks more like a
recreation (as in rebuild, but could also be fun) project than a
restoration. Last summers IEEE Annuals was devoted to
reconstructions/restorations/recreations. See TOC at
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/tocresult.jsp?isYear=2005&isnumber=32187&Subm
it32=Go+To+Issues.

In the early 1970s I learned FORTRAN II on an IBM 1620 w/o a printer and we
used IBM unit record gear to interpret our output decks. Cool stuff.

Cheers,

Lee Courtney

MontaVista Software, Inc.
2929 Patrick Henry Drive