manually installing MSDOS...

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 15 17:51:39 CST 2006

Fred Cisin wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Barry Watzman wrote:
>> Ok, first, the "MS-DOS" that you want to use is "MS-DOS 7", "extracted" from
>> Windows 98SE.
>
> IIRC, the original info request did NOT say what he wanted to use it for.
> MS-DOS 7.xx is nice, and would be the easiest to install, BUT it might not
> necessarily be what he wants/needs.
> For all that we know, maybe the DOS Command box of w2K might be all that
> he needs!

Ahhh, I only needed it for long enough to launch a Linux install from it via
loadlin on a machine that has no floppy drive and a cdrom drive that won't
read anything other than commercial CDs. All that I had to work with was a
running install of Win2k + running install of Debian on the hard disk (both
with network connectivity), so I wondered if there was a realistic way of
manually installing DOS on there without any way of booting from either floppy
or home-burned CD.

As it turns out, I've got it sorted by putting the hard disk in an old P90
Toshiba laptop which happened to have a floppy drive on it - I could boot the
floppy install disk set from there, then install everything over NFS before
putting the hard disk back into the 'target' laptop and setting up the things
specific to that machine (like video). Still wouldn't mind a bootable DOS
partition on there sometime though as it does occasionally come in useful...

It was a bit of a hassle, but all done now thankfully. (Note to self - source
a Thinkpad floppy drive from somewhere!)

>> [Note, the full set of DOS utilities won't fit on a 1.44MB floppy, so be
>> sure to put them on the CD so that you have a place to copy them from.]
>
> If you strip out the parts that you don't need, (such as DONKEY.BAS?), you
> can put the most needed items on one disk.

Ahh, that brings back memories of trying to get everything useful onto one disk!

cheers

Jules