Thunderscan

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 19 13:19:32 CST 2006

> Just picked up an interesting piece of hardware.
>
> It's a Thunderscan,  The working end replaces the ribbon cartridge in an
> Imagewriter,  The page to be scanned is fed in to  the printer and  the
> optical sensor then scans the page.
>
> It came with a 512  Mac with the demo tape, and reset clip, and floppies
> still in the box.  It powers up OK, but after a while goes blank, a tap to
> the side restores the screen.

Probably a dry joint on the 'analogue board' (PSU and monitor circuits).
It's the board mouted vertically, crack the case and look for cracked
joints, etc. There _are_ high voltages on this board, but I don't think
anything stays charged for long after you've unpluged it from the mains.

> Has anyone else seen a thunderscan?

Never seen one, but I rememebr reading about it in Byte all those years ago..