Mercury use (WAS RE: hospital surplus)

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 18:05:42 CST 2006

> And as primary cells--mercury cells have a remarkably stable voltage output
> over their life.

[Looks sadly at all the classic cameras around here that are more
difficult to use now that ther mercury cells for the exposure meters are
unavailabe. Yes I do know of the work-arrounds...]

IIRC the Weston standard cell is a mercury/cadmium couple.... Although to
be fair a good bandgap voltage reference is accurate enough for anything
I am likely to need, and a lot less hassle.