Discussion of large systems

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 17:17:34 CST 2006

> > >     Does anyone have enough tape drives that they can do the
> > >     multi-drive merge/sort tape algorithms described in Knuth's
> > >     Art of Computer Programming?
> >
> >    How many would that be?
>
> Assuming it's the same as the one talked about on here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merge_sort
>
> That's 4 drives.  I could easily do that on DLT or 3480 media. :)

I've got this insane idea to try to implement said algorithm on an HP71B
calculator using HP82161 tape drives. I've got 4 or 5 of the latter
hanging around here.

I'd ignore the fact that the 71B normally creates a filesystem on said
tapes, I'd just treat them as streams of blocks (and send the necessary
HPIL DDT and DDL commands to access them).

Time to get out tAoCP and have a look...