Quipo (was: Discussion of large systems

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Nov 3 17:23:13 CST 2006

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Richard wrote:
> I wonder if the Quipu was first?
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quipu>

It's a file system, not necessarily a computer.
Apparently the oldest ones that they've found are ONLY 5000 years old.
But, . . .  they might have been around earlier, and the Spanish were very
thorough in their attempts to eliminate that culture, so many older data
files were destroyed.  So, they MIGHT be older.

"Nowadays the word Kipu is also used in the Quechua translation of Windows
XP.  The word Kipu stands for 'File' within the Windows menu structure."

OK,
If you find drivers for XP for reading and writing Kipu,
then I'll take back most of what I've ever said about MICROS~1.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com