New monitors on old machines

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Nov 2 15:35:00 CST 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:04, Chris M wrote:
>  I seem to remember something about RS-170 style video
> being 1 volt peak to peak or .7 volts peak. "P2P"
> seems to indicate a signal that is half negative
> going? Would have to do more research, but if not,
> maybe a resistor would do the job (i.e "convert" 5
> volts to a correspodingly "high" analog voltage, as
> mentioned).

Peak-to-peak means the difference between the maximum and minimum
voltage of the signal.   Something that ranges from + 5V to +10V
above "ground" would be "5V" P2P, but a 10V peak signal.

In the case of RS-170 video, it's -0.4V - 1.0V, so 1.4V p-p or 1.0V
peak.

>  The older broadcast monitors were designated RS-170
> (those with seperate color inputs) I do believe. Maybe
> modern VGA signals and whatnot are also compatible.
>  One problem...what do you do with the Intensity input
> (older TTL monitors are not RGB, they're RGBI).

RS-170 is US baseband video without color.  RS-170A is US baseband video
with color (NTSC).  (525-line, 3.579545 MHz colorburst frequency, 59.94
fields per second, 29.97 frames per second).

Pat