PDP-11/44 problem - RUN stays on

Don North ak6dn at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 8 16:45:40 CST 2006

Jay West wrote:
> Henk wrote...
>> I tried the suggestion from Don with the M9302 in the last slot of the
>> 11/44 backplane. To my surprise, when you hit ^P, the system prints a
>> new "(Program)" line and the cursor (_) moves to the next line.
>> So, now I am thinking ... a wrong/dead terminator on the RL02 drive,
>> can it have such an effect that through the RL11 controller the bus
>> hangs?!
> IF you changed the dipswitches on the UBI board as I mentioned in my
> previous email, AND you get the same response as above (^P gives
> another (program) display)... then I bet your front panel board (slot
> 1AB) or your MFM board is toasty.

^P should toggle the console mode between talking to the 11/44 serial port
(program) and the front panel microcontroller (>>> prompt). If ^P never
comes back with a >>> prompt then as Jay said something is funky with your
MFM module. IIRC if you put the front panel switch to the locked position
if forces 'program' mode and ^P is ignored, all characters go to the 11/44.