"centronics" connectors

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Nov 9 20:51:38 CST 2006

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Why do folks insist on calling this type of connector "Centronics"?
> I've even hear the "C" word applied to HPIB connectors.  Centronics
> never used the 50 pin version, did they?
> I've heard them called Amphenol, CHAMP, telco, PBX and RJ21X
> connectors as well as "Blue Ribbon" (shows my age).  But why
> "Centronics"?

For many people who had never seen a computer until 1979 (TRS-80),
Centronics printers were the first places that they saw them.
Although business telephone systems had been using them for multi-line
phones for quite a while, "Only technicians" ever connected or
disconnected those.

Might as well ask why ALL D shell connectors are referred to as size B.