Need Docs for XT RAM Board...

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 10 19:40:01 CST 2006

> On 10 Nov 2006 at 13:55, woodelf wrote:
>
> > Why not build a static ram card -- no dynamaic ram and really speed up the pc.
>
> Back in the day, fast static RAM was fairly expensive.   Of course,
> you could do this today, but where's the fun in that?

As a sort-of aside, the HP110 and 110+ (Portable and PortablePlus)
machines were 8086-based laptops running MS-DOS (but not at all
PC-compatible at the BIOS or hardware levels) with static RAM. Row upon
row of 6264s (8K byte static RAM chips -- my Portable+ has, IIRC, 112 of
them in SOIC pacakges. My 110 has rather fewer, but all in DIL packages,
there's a PCB the size of the base of the machine containg the CPU, ROMs,
a bit of support logic, and loads of RAMs