VCF 9 (Jay West) & (Jules Richardson

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 17:09:19 CST 2006

On 11/15/06, Jules Richardson <julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Roger Merchberger wrote:
> >> Could Ethan be persuaded to host one?
> >
> > Just as white (heck, moreso! ;-) but wrong direction...
> >
> > What would he call it?
> > VCF-WS (Way South)
> > VCF-SP (South Pole)
> > VCF-RRFC (Really Really Frelling Cold)
>
> Well, given that VCFs are not unique to the US, I'm tempted to suggest that
> they should always be given as coordinates anyway :-)  (Although what the
> longitude of the south pole is, I don't know - do people just pick something
> at random? :)

At the Pole, the longitude is undefined (think "tangent of 90
degrees").  As for time (the usual indicator of longitude in practical
terms), we use NZ time since we get our planes from McMurdo and they
get their planes from Christchurch.

Usually here, folks ignore longitude and just make references to "90 South".

-ethan