Help needed to read IBM 1M formated floppy on something modern.

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Nov 14 18:20:15 CST 2006

On 14 Nov 2006 at 15:58, Geoff Reed wrote:

> Win 98, and 2000 at least don't care about the capacity of the "a" drive,
> I've had 1.2 MB drives on them just fine, I have yet to try with win XP or
> 2003.  any issues with win 98 and 2000 not being able to read/write a 1.2mb
> drive as the 1st drive in the chain lie in the motherboard and bios.

...and I've had 360K and 720K drives as well.  XP gets a bit uppity
though, if you try to format a 360K or 720K (or, IIRC, 1.2MB) drive.
The code's still in the driver, but someone at MS decided that /F:360
etc.  shouldn't go into the command itself.

Should you happen to get your hands on some NEC 9801 DOS-V 1.3MB 3.5"
diskettes,Windows should read them just fine if they're used on a
Superdrive or most USB floppy drives.  Formatting is another matter,
however.

Cheers,
Chuck