What is this thing?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 17:57:40 CST 2006

On 11/18/06, aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk <aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I received a 4MB PCMCIA ram card off of eBay
> today. It's by Amitek and is for the A600 &
> A1200. It is known as RAM 6040 and has the
> serial number A010100. It states on the back
> of the video box (yes, it's in a video box) that
> it was distributed in the UK by SDL. On the
> front of the box it states "4MB populated",
> what does that mean?

Sounds like they sold more than one size - perhaps the same base
board, but with different amounts of RAM chips installed.

> However, the main reason for this post is this:
> Inside the box is (as the seller stated) "a
> thing". It's a small oblong object with a
> female 9 pin connector (like a mouse port). On
> the opposite end is a smal sticker with
> "K50076" on it. On the top of the "thing" is a
> chequered pattern in silver which starts about
> 2cm from either end. It is completely sealed
> all the way around, no screws or join marks,
> with the only exception being the connector
> bit. I even tried shaking it! No sound at all.
> As stated the seller has no idea what this is
> and I am totally stumped too. What is it?!

Sounds like an application key - a 'dongle'.

Certain packages, even for the Amiga, required a hardware "key" to
operate.  Some have ROMs inside, some are simple
resistor/capacitor/diode arrangements for game ports.

I know I have an Amiga database package with a dongle, but I don't
know what app yours might be for.  Perhaps someone will recognize it
from the description.

-ethan