Ultrix Distribution tapes - what do they all mean?

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Wed Nov 22 19:19:08 CST 2006

  I was lucky enough to be able to borrow a box of random Ultrix TK50
distribution tapes.  Unfortunately I have to give it back, but before I do
I'd like to be able do a complete Ultrix installation on some system that I
have.  The printed labels on the tapes are somewhat cryptic, however -
here's a sampling of what I have

    DECNET-ULTRIX V2.0 BIN
    ULTRIX-32W V1.0 BIN
    ULTRIX WS 1.1 UNSUPP
    VAX C/ULTRIX V1.0
    ULTRIX-32 V2.0 SUPPORTED
    ULTRIX-32 V2.0 STAND ALONE / ULTRIX TK50 #1
    ULTRIX WS V2.0 (RISC)
    FORTRAN FOR RISC V1.0
    ULTRIX AND UWS (VAX) UNSUPPORTED SUBSETS
    ULTRIX/UWS T4.0A-1 (RISC) / SUPPORTED VOL 1

  Dumb question #1 - I assume that the ones that say (VAX) are VAX, and the
ones that say (RISC) are PMAX/MIPS, but are the ones that don't specify
(e.g. "DECNET-ULTRIX V2.0" or "ULTRIX-32W V1.0 BIN") also assumed to be VAX?

  What actually constitutes a complete Ultrix base system distribution?  Is
it three tapes - SUPPORTED, UNSUPPORTED, and (if necessary) WORKSTATION ?

  Are the SUPPORTED tapes supposed to be bootable?

  Roughly what hardware is supported by the VAX versions?  I would guess a
MicroVAX/VAXstation-II/2000 should work, but what about a KA650/655
(uVAX-III/III+) ?  Was there any Ultrix version that ran on a
VAXstation-4000/60/90/VLC?

  Does the DECNET version correspond to the Ultrix version (e.g. DECNET V2.0
for Ultrix V2.0)?

  Probably the most important question - are there any scanned Ultrix SPDs
and/or installation instructions online anywhere?  This would probably
answer all my other questions :-)

Thanks,
Bob Armstrong