Northstar Horizon

river river at zip.com.au
Sun Nov 26 01:09:36 CST 2006

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I've probably seen some of the web sites mentioned as I have downloaded
various manuals and documentation for the system.

The processor board has the provision for 1K EPROM, which isn't installed.
I'd assume it's for a 2708 device. Unfortunately I cannot program these
devices, so I can program a 2716 and do some mods to the processor card to
make the 2716 work and show only the 1st 1kbyte.

In my spares I have a few Dynabyte and Microbyte RAM cards (both static and
dynamic), an old MITS 8800B CPU card (which needs some serious TLC), a spare
ZPB processor card, some weird S-100 Inc 4K EPROM card which looks like it
can take 8 x 512byte, or 4 x 1k or 2 x 2k EPROMS, a Vector Graphics ZCB
processor card, and a few S-100 blank prototyping cards and a 4-slot S-100
mainboard.

I can wire-wrap up one of the proto boards as an EPROM card if I need more
and run the DOS all in silicon, if this is possible. So, if push comes to
shove I can modify and use one of my 8080/85 debug/monitors and let it run
on the Northstar.

I guess the hardest part is getting a set of drives that will run on the AD3
card, along with the necessary diskettes. I rechecked the disk controller
card and it is clearly labelled "Micro Disk Controller MDS-AD3", which makes
it the double-density diskette controller. I do have another disk controller
card, by Delta Products, that has a 1791 FD controller chip on it, but I
have no doco for this board.

However, the first thing I need to do is clean-up the system, blow out the
dust, fix the blown caps and then go through the downloaded documentation
that describes how to test/verify the various boards are operational.

Again, thanks for you replies and I'm going to join them into a single
document for reference and also go to the various links you have supplied to
see if I can get more information.

regards
river