DOS answering machine ???

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Sun Oct 15 20:32:43 CDT 2006

On Sunday 15 October 2006 09:17 pm, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 10/15/2006 at 8:56 PM Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> >That was my way to do dialup for a while here until it got weird after a
> >storm.  Now no matter what input you give it on the serial port side it
> >comes back saying "boot>".  My guess on this is that the writable storage
> >in it got trashed somehow,  but other than that I don't know.  Suggestions
> >as to how I might deal with this welcomed,  either on or off list.
>
> Well, you might try running the V.90 upgrade package for the modem (I
> assume that you've got a XPVS56E

You prompted me to dig into the modems box and pull the unit out -- and you've
nailed the model number exactly,  though that number only appears on a paper
sticker and the nameplace actually says "Model SF-1156V/T4" on it.

> http://www.maxtech.com/html/fl-modems.html

Too bad the only thing I see there are .exe files.  The one for that model
seems to be an LHA self-extracting file,  I guess I'll try and see what can
be extracted from it under linux...

> Dunno if your modem is responsive enough to accept it, but it's a guess.

Might be worth a shot.  Thanks.

--
Member of the toughest, meanest, dealiest, most unrelenting -- and
ablest -- form of life in this section of spac, a critter that can