Info needed on some 1980s-era Intel parts

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 15:50:23 CDT 2006

On 10/18/06, Tony Duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > So... does anyone recognize the Intel part numbers P82C08 or D8293
>
> I don't know where you'd find data sheets in electronic form...

Indeed... I did look first.

> (I think I have them on paper)

Those could be handy some day if I ever try to re-use the chips.

> but the 8293 is a GPIB buffer

That makes sense given where the wires go, but I had just never heard
of the part before.

>(the 8291 was the talker/listener chip, the 8292, actually a
programmed microcontroler
> (8042?) was the GPIB contorlelr add-on).

Good call - there does happen to be an 8291 on the board, next to the
buffers, but no sign of an 8292.  There _is_ an 8256, but given its
location, I'm guessing it's a UART.

There is also a Siemens 8282 nearby that seems to link into the 8291 -
could that be the micro-controller?  It's 20 pins, and has a printed
date code such as one would see on a programmable part.

> And I think the 8208 was some kind of DRAM controller.

That makes sense - it's next to a bank of 32 41256s.

> What indormation do you need? If it's just pinouts I might well be able
> to tyoe them up.

Primarily, I was curious as to what the GPIB parts were - the board is
out of the scrap pile, and I was contemplating scavenging the
GPIB-related parts in the hopes of someday wiring them to some machine
to talk to Commodore-brand disks and printers.

At this point, I might or might not take the time to desolder them.
Honestly, I'd rather go with more common parts since if I do build an
interface, I'd hate to be at a loss for spare parts or for it to be
difficult to make a second one.

Thanks for the great info and the quick response, Tony.

-ethan