Wow; $192 for a 5.25" floppy disk drive

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Oct 19 11:56:59 CDT 2006

On 19 Oct 2006 at 10:11, Jules Richardson wrote:

> Gah - the BP drive is my least-favourite device of all time. I spent many
> hours struggling to get one working under Linux a few years ago with no luck -
> this was including lots of talking to the developers of the Linux BP drivers
> and sending trace logs back and forth; they couldn't make any sense of it
> either. Makes me wonder if the timing protocol changed at some point or something.

I don't think so--we sold the 3.5" versions with our special software
(for handling 360 RPM 3.5" drives) from the metal-cased version right
up to the time they stopped shipping the plastic-cased version.
Timing's a little twitchy, but not too bad in the PeeCee universe of
things--and the Windoze 9x/3.1 VxD's were solid.

Forgot to mention that the BP also has 16x63 bit serial NVRAM in it.
Was just reminded of it looking at some old code.

If you're thinking about a Catweasel-type external box, then I'd put
lots of memory (10 MB or more) and some programmable intelligence in
it (so the "nuts and bolts" isn't subject to OS platform-related
issues).  Maybe interface with something dirt-common, like RS-232C.
Of course, this would push the price of a basic unit up pretty high.

Cheers,
Chuck

P.S.  This is my first message using a new email client--Pegasus.
Calypso finally has developed an irritating bug that I can't fix
because I don't have access to the source code.