vax/vms file archival ideas and suggestions

John A. Dundas III dundas at caltech.edu
Thu Oct 19 15:19:53 CDT 2006

Joe,

At 3:58 PM -0400 10/19/06, Joe Heck wrote:
>Hi all,
>	I must be missing something, but I have not found a good way to
>preserve a bunch of vax/vms files.  I've looked at VMSZip, Gzip, VMSTar,
>etc, and I must be missing something.

Do you need to preserve them as individual files or would tape images
suffice?  If tape images are OK, use an appropriate program to create
.tap files from the tapes themselves.  This allows easy (later)
recreation of the tapes as well as use within the various simulators.

If on the other hand the files are more important (than being able to
recreate the tape exactly), unloading into separate directories is
fine.  Then create a backup image of the whole directory structure
and archive the saveset.  If space is an issue, gzip the saveset.

Just how I would likely approach it.

Good luck,

John