Odd 8-bit ISA CD-ROM interface?

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Thu Oct 19 18:17:10 CDT 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:10:32 -0500 (CDT)
> Tothwolf <tothwolf at concentric.net> wrote:
>
> > It should be supported under Linux or *BSD.
>
> At least NetBSD supports only the old Mitsumi CDROM controller: mcd(4).
> Linux supported way more of those funky, proprietary IDE like CDROMs.
> But most likely this junk was removed from (semi) recent kernels.

Wouldn't surprise me really, from what I remember, a lot of the driver
code was kludgey at best. I might have to pull out some of those old
drives over the holidays and see what the current driver code looks like.
Its been awhile since I did any kernel hacking anyway.

> If you need a CDROM with a 8 bit ISA interface you may use a SCSI drive
> with a ST-01 / ST-02 or NCR 53C400 SCSI adapter.

Speaking of which, I unearthed an odd one myself a few weeks ago while
sorting out drives. It is a external Hitachi drive with a special
interface card. I never did manage to get it working under Linux or
FreeBSD (no driver or docs). I'm not sure which box the card is in right
now, but I did locate the drive again. Its built like a tank and unless
I'm mistaken, its a single speed drive.