Intel MDS and Mohawk

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Oct 27 03:03:11 CDT 2006

On 26 Oct 2006 at 15:35, Tom Watson wrote:

> Note to wise:  If you think you have a trademark, do a little search.  It might
> save some real money at a later date.

...and sometimes it doesn't do any good at all.  IIRC, Victor (of the
Victor 9000) sued someone who'd been doing business as Victor
Electronics for at least a decade.

As far as Mohawk, it's an interesting and very tangled story as near
as I can determine.  In 1986, Momentum Technologies purchased the
Herkimer (NY) division of Mohawk and merged with Onset Corporation in
1988.  Somehow, Onset became the property of DecisionOne. (aka
Decision Data Corp)

But that was the Herkimer division.  The west coast computer
operation in Hayward became Qantel and is still in business (although
I suspect that there's at least a chapter 11 in there somewhere).
See:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE0DD133EF935A35756C
0A960948260
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DEED9143AF934A35754C
0A960948260

I recall in the 70's, a couple of CDC co-workers going to work for
the Los Gatos operation of Mohawk, but I never learned what they did
there.

For what it's worth (or not),
Chuck