Collections of (physically) large computers

Andy Holt andyh at andyh-rayleigh.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Oct 30 10:20:22 CST 2006

>   ...  Personally I wouldn't consider ...
>  anything which called itself a calculator
> rather than a computer ...

Now you are reminding me of some University politics from the 1970's.
At the time I started work at City University there was a policy of
"no departmental computers" (quite strongly enforced through the budgetry
system).
Unfortunately the net effect of this policy was that, instead of buying
sensible PDP-11s and the like, the departments bought overpriced "data
loggers" that just happened to come with BASIC or the like - it wouldn't
surprise me if there were some "calculators" bought that were similar.
As always the law of unintended consequences took charge.

Andy