Question regarding floppy drive functionality.

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Oct 31 12:01:46 CST 2006

On 31 Oct 2006 at 18:45, Jos Dreesen / Marian Capel wrote:

> Am i correct in thinking that, given a custom FDC, i could run a modern
> 1.44 floppy  in FM mode, and at much lower data rates i.e. (say 50 KHz.) ?

I don't think there should be a problem with what you want to do.  If
you wanted to run said drive significantly FASTER than the 500KHz
data rate, you might run into problems--but slower should be no
problem.

The low data rate yields all sorts of low-tech encoding
possibilities, since ISV and other issues don't matter as much at low
speeds.  I can imagine that you could use a USART or even a UART with
a flipflop NRZ encoder and get very good results.

Cheers,
Chuck