Anyone near Goddard Space Flight Center? (Greenbelt, MD)

arcarlini at iee.org arcarlini at iee.org
Tue Oct 31 16:41:05 CST 2006

Richard wrote:
> This VT50 needs rescuing!

<http://sales.gsfc.nasa.gov/web/sales/dsp_viewByCatalog.cfm?sSaleNumber=
80322620070013&sViewBy=catalog>
> <http://sales.gsfc.nasa.gov/web/images/lots/80322620070013/lot019.jpg>

I'm nowhere near (not even the right continent :-)) but I see this:

CASE #:  	8032266186S016
  	ITEM: 	TERMINAL, DATA PROCESSING 	MFG: 	DIGITAL
EQUIPMENT CORP 	Model #: 	VT50AA
SERIAL#: 	20516NX 	MFG YEAR: 	1986 	CONDITION:
REPAIRABLE

Now "MFG YEAR" of 1986 sounds way too late. Surely the VT100s would have
driven the VT5x stuff off customer radar by then? Was DEC really still
making VT5x terminals this late in the day? (I wouldn't be at all
surprised to know that they were supported a long time beyond that
date - for a fee! - but I'm having a hard time believing that they
were made and sold in 1986 ....)

Antonio