Nixies, was Re: Octal

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Fri Sep 1 18:45:55 CDT 2006

I haven't found a way to drive nixies from more modern equipment yet, not
one that I understand, anyhow. Especially the Burroughs  7971 "British
Flag" one. I thought of building a character generator using a PAL, but I
really haven't decided what I want to do wit them yet. Maybe create an "On
the air" sign with my callsign, alternating with a clock display.

-T

At 11:05 PM 8/31/2006 -0700, you wrote:

> > From: "Roy J. Tellason"
>
> > I wouldn't mind getting some nixies to play with at some point,  but
> it's not
> > a real high priority item on my list.  I did have one assembly that I
> picked
>
>I've found that nixies are not very hard to find; just check out older test
>equipment. I picked three pieces of test equipment a couple of weeks ago for
>basically nothing, each of which was working and used nixies for the displays.

[Business] "Meetings are an addictive, highly self-indulgent activity
that corporations and other organizations habitually engage in only
because they cannot actually masturbate." --Dave Barry
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)  WEB ADDRESS http//www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531