Commodore hacking and hardware tricks (was Re: commodore 64/128 question)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Sep 3 15:54:55 CDT 2006

On 9/3/2006 at 1:32 PM Zane H. Healy wrote:

>I think it's called hooking your C64/128 up to a PC via a X1541 (or
>newer) cable, and using the PC as a drive via the appropriate
>software.  This is one of the solutions I'm thinking of trying.
>Apparently it allows you to use the PC as a 1541, and to use emulator
>images.

But that doesn't get this disks read in the first place!  It seems to me
that the 1571 drives "gobble" old diskettes more easily than do other
drives.  By "gobble" I mean peel the oxide right off the cookie, usually
accompanied by a squeal that says "your floppy's toast!"

I've gotten to the point where I won't even bother with the old CDC
"Precision" branded 5.25" floppies.   90% of the time, it's wasted effort,
trashing the floppy and necessitating cleaning the heads of the drive.

Cheers,
Chuck