C64 ASM?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 14:43:00 CDT 2006

On 9/13/06, Cameron Kaiser <spectre at floodgap.com> wrote:
> > What do people recommend for an Assembler on the Commodore 64?  I'm wanting
> > to play around with one, and am not sure what to use.

I got my start way back with the official Commodore Assembler, an official
copy that arrived some months after my employer was sent a demo C-64
to write software for. I still have my original disks from 1982, so when I'm
in the C-64 nvironment, that's what I use.  It can be a bit clunky; the tools
all center around the BASIC environment with special patches - you enter
code as if you were entering BASIC, but when the "EDITOR" is loaded,
it doesn't tokenize code, and it adds a couple of commands via a BASIC
"Wedge" to allow you to load and save code as SEQential files.

In the past few years, though, I've seen massive productivity gains by
using a cross assembler under UNIX (dasm is good) and testing under
VICE.  The cycle goes something like: edit with vi or Emacs, make,
then switch to VICE and do a LOAD "myprog",11,1 (device 11 under
VICE is an emulated disk drive that maps to whatever VICE thinks is
the current directory).  Being able to use a large display-space editor
is verrry nice compared to what I used to do back in the old days on
a real C-64.  It allows me to see a lot more code at once, and not
worry about wrapping at 40 columns.

-ethan