bad keys on terminals

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Tue Sep 12 08:22:54 CDT 2006

>Subject: Re: bad keys on terminals
>   From: "Dave Dunfield" <dave06a at dunfield.com>
>   Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 05:31:07 -0500
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"	<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>

>Dave
>
>BTW: I have similar vintage PETs with identical keyboards in
>which the conductive rubber is fine ... anyone know what
>conditions accelerate the deterioration of conductive rubber?

Ozone and other airborne contaminants.  I have a old (30 years old)
peice of black conductive foam that is stored in a large jar with
cmos parts and some dessicant is in perfect condition.  A peice
from the same block exposed to the air died (crumbled) over 15
years ago.

I've also had several keyboards with foam backed pads (Cherry?)
die on me.  Same problem, either the glue dies or the foam.

Allison