Disk drive 50 years old today (305 RAMAC)

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Sep 14 15:40:50 CDT 2006

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 9/14/2006 at 12:19 PM woodelf wrote:
> >Segment from BRL - report #1115 march 1961.
> >     2D21            205
> Most likely coil drivers for punch/printer/relays?

I have seen them used in digital applications for purposes other than driving
electro-mechanical stuff, however. Specifically, as the reset drivers in an HP
524 tube counter (resetting the string of counter flip-flops). I suspect the low
plate ('ON') resistance was the attraction/benefit.

(The 2D21 is a small tube thyratron, if anyone is wondering they're getting
singled out for attention.)

--

IIRC, Paul Pierce has one of the model of disk drive which was essentially the
RAMAC drive interfaced for use with the 7000 series.