Odd external Amiga floppy drive

Teo Zenios teoz at neo.rr.com
Thu Sep 14 20:24:08 CDT 2006

I got an ebay find in the mail today, an external floppy drive with a port for another floppy. The odd thing about this drive is that the cable going to it is 25 pin while the connector on the back for an additional drive is the normal 23 pin variety.

I opened the case up and found a Citizen OSDC-45C drive which I believe is a 720K DD drive along with a circuit board populated with a cap, some other small caps, and 2 chips (Tesla MH7438 and HD 74LS74AP OL15).

My original idea was to swap out the 720K drive and install a 1.44MB PC one for a Planar Cleanscreen 486 LCD system I have (plus do some rewiring as needed), but I wonder what this drive is actually for.

Any ideas?