C64 ASM Question

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Sat Sep 16 14:46:34 CDT 2006

> Now for what is no doubt a very stupid question that I'm hoping
> someone can help with.
>
> I'm using "Turbo Macro Assembler '05", and have verified that it
> works with the following simple little program that I got off the web:
>
>             * = $1000
>
> loop:      inc $d020 ; increment $d020
>             jmp loop  ; jump to label loop
>
> I can get <-- 3 "Assemble and run" to work just fine, however while
> <-- 5 "Assemble to disk" seems to work, how on earth do I execute the
> program that is created?  Obviously I need to do a:
>
> LOAD"FLASH",8,1
> It loads just fine, and I assume I need a SYS statement with an
> address to start it, but what on earth should that address be?

I don't know if TMA needs you to specify a starting address to assemble
to disk; most of the hosted assemblers don't, but many of the cross
assemblers do (xa does, for example -- I need to make a FAQ about that).

Assuming it does not, SYS 4096 will run it.

Assuming it does (the computer crashes), add a .byt $00, $10 above the *=
(some assemblers will accept .word).

--
--------------------------------- personal: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ ---
-- Mmmm, Windows user. Crunchy and good with ketchup. -- Dave McGuire ---------