Capacitor Placement

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Sep 17 19:22:39 CDT 2006

On 9/17/2006 at 5:02 PM Zane H. Healy wrote:

>I'm in the process of building a MAX233 Serial Interface for my C64,
>and have run into one bit of problem.  Which way should the "+" side
>of the Cap I have go in the following circuit?
>http://www.petscii.com/telbbs/max233-interface.jpg

Unless the fellow who drew the schematic is wrong, the + side goes to pin 2
on the User Port connector and the - side goes to ground.  The curved side
of a capacitor symbol specifies the - terminal.  If it's a nonpolar cap,
then two straight lines are commonly used.  But since pin 2 appears to be
+5, the schematic is correct in that respect.

Cheers,
Chuck