CP/M for Fairchild F8 ?

Holger Veit holger.veit at iais.fraunhofer.de
Tue Sep 19 06:59:46 CDT 2006

Jos Dreesen / Marian Capel schrieb:

> I found a scrapped box today  at work :
>
> 2 8" floppydrives , RS232 and  printer  interfaces. Internally an F8
> chipset ( F3850 / F3852 / F3854) with a WD1771 fdc.
> Strangely enough a set of floppies lay on top, labeled Cp/M, Basic
> CP/m Pascal etc.
>
> Was there ever a CP/M version for the F8 ??
>
>                      Jos Dreesen
The original F8 processor (not the later single chip 3870) is a rather
obscure beast which has ROM modules that contain its own independent PC
and stack. Its focus was largely embedded applications and also video
consoles - the board you have found might be an intelligent I/O
subsystem that was connected to a real CP/M system if the presence of
CP/M floppies is not just pure coincidence.
The F8 itself is not at all compatible to the 8080 or Z80 so it won't
run CP/M, not even emulate it.

--
Holger