8-bit ISA SCSI cards?

Doc Shipley doc at mdrconsult.com
Fri Apr 6 23:33:26 CDT 2007

Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2007, at 1:32 PM, Jim Leonard wrote:
>> I'm restoring a few more 5150s and realized that, although my MFM
>> hardware stores are being depleted, I'm just maggoty with SCSI drives,
>> from 40MB to 18GB.  Can anyone recommend any 8-bit ISA SCSI adapters by
>> model, name, or whatever I can use to search for them on ebay?
>>
>> Also, do such 8-bit adapters have an onboard BIOS?  It would be great if
>> I didn't have to boot off of a floppy disk just to access the hard
>> drive...  I have a CorelSCSI card at home, but when I plug it in it
>> doesn't do anything at POST, and I don't have a driver or software to
>> test the card anyway :-/
>
>   I've used Adaptec 1542B/1542C and Always IN-2000 cards.  They both
> work well and have onboard BIOSes.

   I think he meant 8-bit ISA, not 8-bit SCSI.  :^)

   Or do the 15xx cards work in an 8-bit slot?

   I have a Future Domain TMC-870 and a TMC-855, which Adaptec claims
are both 8-bit ISA, even though the 885 has 16-bit fingers.  Both have
enough BIOS to boot DOS 6.22 from hard disk without drivers.  Incredibly
enough, Adaptec also has utilities and CD-ROM drivers for both cards.

   They both also have 2 FDC channels, but only the TMC-870 has BIOS
support for drives 2 and 3.  There's a driver floating around for the
TMC-885's second channel, but it needs hacking to work.  When I get the
proverbial free minute, I intend to put the 870 into a Tandy 1000 and
see if it flies.

	Doc