ST506 WTB:Micropolis 1325

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 8 11:21:09 CDT 2007

On Apr 7, 2007, at 8:42 AM, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
>> John Kourafas wrote:
>>> Also looking for a Micropolis 1325 MFM Drive, 71/80MB , I've seen
>>> both the ST506 and Mic. 1325 on eBay for like 600.00 which I
>>> think is crazy...
>>
>> What's the largest capacity 3.5" MFM HDD available?
>
> I have an extensive collection of MFM/RLL drives and have _never_
> run across one with that interface in a 3.5" form-factor.  Not sure
> that anything of this sort existed.  5.25" 1/2-ht. was about as
> sophisticated as they got.

   No, they definitely exist, I've installed a great many of them
into machines years ago.  The company I worked for sold a lot of
PeeCees (my karma just hasn't been the same) and we used a HardCard
knock-off extensively; it was a 3.5" MFM drive bolted to a frame
attached to an MFM controller.  I *think* the drive was made by
Miniscribe but I am not sure about that.  It was a 20MB drive.

> The largest MFM drive ever made was _probably_ the Maxtor 2190 at
> 190MB unformatted.  ISTR that there was a logical limit to the
> number of cylinders due to the control protocol (or perhaps
> limitations in the PC BIOSes of the time) and physical limits to
> the number of sectors/cylinder and the number of platters (the 2190
> had 15 or 17?)

   I believe this is correct.

          -Dave

--