How to Build a Clean Box

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 01:50:17 CDT 2007

Andy Piercy wrote:
> Alison, thanks for the info, I'll have a go at opening one of the
> driver, as
> currently they are only as much use as a large paper weight!
>
> Sridhar,
>
> A clean box sounda a good idea, could you provide some detaile please?

Andy,

Basically, the purpose of the clean box is to ensure that the air you're
working in is clean.  The box should be made from something that won't
turn readily into dust, for example, it should *not* be made of
cardboard.  Plastic works best.

Also, the box should have at least one clear side.  I used perspex for
the sides and top and thick rigid PVC for the base.  It's important for
you to be able to see what you're working on.

Third, it's important to get the box sealed up well, so use plenty of
thick silicone sealant along the corners.  And make real sure that the
silicone is completely and thoroughly dry and set up before you use the
clean box.  It also couldn't hurt to join the corners on a miter.  In
mine, I use a false bottom that holds together with some bolts to make
it easier to open and close the box, so I can get tools and items to be
repaired in and out of the box.

Fourth, it's a good idea to use an inert gas supply.  For reasons of
availability and price, the best choice might be nitrogen.  Bottled
nitrogen won't be completely clean, so an air filter is probably a good
idea.  Don't use a paper one, obviously.  I use a glass allergen filter.
  And the gas should go through a regulator.  If it comes out too
quickly, it could get supercooled, and that would not be fun.  And don't
forget to create a gas outlet with a one-way valve, to prevent outside
air from getting in.  If you don't put in an outlet, the gas will find
its own outlet, and that won't be good.

Obviously, it isn't possible to work in a completely sealed cube.  You
also need a place to put your hands into the box to actually *do* the
work.  The most reasonable method for doing this is to attach a pair of
gloves to the box itself.  Again, getting a good seal between the box
and the glove is of paramount importance.  Use a sealant material which
has enough flexibility to do the job.  Also, it would be a good idea to
have a way of changing the gloves without tearing the box apart.  I
mounted my gloves to the box on opposite ends of the box so that I can
get my hands to anywhere in the box.  One thing I didn't think of until
after I had built the box is that the positive pressure inside the box
doesn't have to be very high, so you don't have to use gloves that are
very rigid.  I used pipefitters' gloves the first time, and I lost a lot
of fine control.  I suggest using something much thinner.

Experiment!  It's the easiest way to figure this stuff out.  And let me
know how it goes.  I'd be interested to know.  Good luck.

Peace...  Sridhar