Underclocking m68k CPUs

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 12:00:29 CDT 2007

On 4/11/07, Jules Richardson <julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> As subject... do 68k CPUs cope with being underclocked? I've got a surplus
> 8-MHz part from an Amiga, and at the museum we've got a 68000 microprocessor
> trainer which is short its CPU. I'm not sure what speed CPU the trainer
> expects though (because I haven't looked in any detail :-) but it'll certainly
> be 8Mhz or less.

Section 10.7 of the Users Manual
(http://iteso.mx/~temoc/micros/MC68000UM.pdf) indicates that 4MHz is
the minimum clock speed for an 8MHz-rated part.  I've seen 4MHz-badged
parts, but it was in a 4MHz trainer from about 1982.  I don't know
where you'd find performance data on a part that old.

-ethan