Dreaming of a lean installation method [was Re: *nix on

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Apr 11 16:16:43 CDT 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 2:47 PM, der Mouse wrote:
>>> ClassicBSD would need to be about 'have to have' functionality, not
>>> 'nice to have' functionality.
>> I couldn't have though of a better way of saying it: 'have to have'
>> is exactly what I would love to see on an OS which I would use a lot.
>
> The problem, of course, is, whose idea of "have to have" controls?
> For
> example...
>
>>> Just as long as we all agree NetHack stays.
>
> ...this is clearly a "have to have" for one of us - but definitely not
> for another (me).  I consider FORTRAN support and S/Key totally
> junkable frills - but a C compiler is not optional.  I'm sure there
> are
> those that disagree with each of those, and quite possibly some who
> disagree with all of them.

   This is an easy problem to solve.  Resist the temptation to bundle
non-OS software with the OS.  Far too many people these days confuse
OS vs. non-OS...and we get such stupidity as, for example, Solaris
shipping with Postgres installed, whether you want Postgres or not.

   If I want Postgres (and I often do) I WILL INSTALL IT.  It's a
database server, it's not a part of the operating system.

   This is just an example, but you get the idea.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL