Unlock Macintosh Harddrive

Robert Borsuk rborsuk at colourfull.com
Fri Apr 13 13:11:15 CDT 2007

On Apr 13, 2007, at 1:52 PM, Roger Holmes wrote:

> On 13 Apr, 2007, at 11:58, cctalk-request at classiccmp.org wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone remember how to unlock a Macintosh OS 8 Harddrive?
>> I've got a Quadra 800 I'm working on but the harddrive is locked and
>> doesn't allow for read or writes.
>>
>> (Aside from formatting)
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rob
>

> Could it be as simple as selecting the hard drive's icon, doing Get
> Info and unchecking the locked flag?
>

> Or maybe it has been locked at a lower level than that.
>

> Roger Holmes

For some reason, I couldn't do a Get Info on the harddrive.  Files
yes, Harddrive no.
I tried starting without extensions but that didn't help.  I opened
the drive with FWB (it's installed on the harddrive) and seen
two partitions:  The normal one and a small partition thats
encrypted.  I've never seen anything like that before.  I believe
that the harddrive
was used on system in a school system.  I pulled the harddrive from a
Quadra 840av.

Rob