DC-600/300XL tape cart observation

Rob robert at irrelevant.com
Wed Apr 25 01:37:50 CDT 2007

On 25/04/07, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> I've been cursing my way through a load of DC300XL/DC600A carts
> written a bit over 20 years ago.  They're mixed "Scotch" brand (blue
> logo) and "3M" (red logo).
>
> The "Scotch" ones have been an unmitigated nightmare.
[..]

Hmm... I've got a couple of DC600As in the back of the cupboard from a
system I was working on about 15 years ago .. I really ought to check
up on them.  Need to find a drive at some point ..

While not directly relevant, ISTR that c.20 yers ago Scotch marketed
their VHS tapes over here with a lifetime guarantee, and the tag line
"re-record, not fade away" "you can watch scotch forever".
<http://groups.myspace.com/rerecordnotfadeaway> (I should still have
some of their VHS tapes that are 20 years old now .. really ought to
check on them....)

Did their data carts have the same guarantee??

Rob