newbie building a scratch-built computer

Holger Veit holger.veit at iais.fraunhofer.de
Sat Aug 4 11:26:47 CDT 2007

Chuck Guzis said:
> On 4 Aug 2007 at 0:07, Joe Giliberti wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the information everyone. I'm really looking into
>> everything
>> now, as far as building a computer from an off the shelf CPU such as a
>> Z80
>> or 6502. One thing that has occurred to me is that I will likely need an
>> EPROM Burner. Where can I get such a device for a modern PC?
>
> Believe it or not, they're still being made.  Here's one that works
> with a PC parallel port:
>
> http://www.batronix.com/electronic/circuits/eeprommer.shtml
>
> Smallest one seems to be a 2764, but still, not too bad for a new
> unit.

Not the best choice, IMHO, a better one you might find at www.willem.org.
There are commercial clones as well, like the one from www.silvotronic.de
(board, kit available through ePay for instance). I have bought a kit from
them and they work fine.

Another choice could be to use EEPROMs like 2816 or 2864/65; a very simple
but useful device for the PC parallel port is from Chris Ward at
http://home.freeuk.net/c.ward/6502/programmer.html.

--
Holger