newbie building a scratch-built computer

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Wed Aug 8 00:24:52 CDT 2007

On Sunday 05 August 2007 19:53, Brad Parker wrote:
> woodelf wrote:
> >Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> >> I remember seeing one magazine article for such a device,  but I wasn't
> >> that
> >>
> >> thrilled with the design of it. It used some sort of counter chips to
> >> step through the addresses of the target RAM,  and wasn't very flexible
> >> in its approach to things.
>
> If you're talking about eprom emulators, "back in the day" I used to
> use a device called a "PROMICE".
>
> It was wonderful.  I did a few different boot proms with one. Very handy.
> It was made by (I think) Grammer Engine.  Try www.promice.com.  But
> gosh, they do seem more expensive now that I remember...
>
> I looked on ebay and didn't find one, sadly;  I did find, however an
> "ostrich 2.0" USB eprom emulator which looks nice.  www.moates.net
>
> Apparently there is a large community of people out there hacking engine
> ECU's.  who knew? :-)
>
> -brad

Actually,  I did.  :-)

Ages ago,  probably all the way back in oh,  1993 or so (?) I stumbled across
a mailing list calling itself DIY-EFI,  and that's what those guys were all
about  Much of it *way* over my head,  and I've completely lost track of it,
but it did make for some fascinating reading for a while there.

-
M Dakin