Mystery tape drive

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Thu Aug 9 12:18:35 CDT 2007

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Al Kossow wrote:

>>  > Can anyone here identify the tape drives in this picture?
>>
>> Ampex TM-2
>>

> To be more specific, Ampex OEMed the transport to lots of different computer
> companies. I'll have to do some more digging to identify which company that
> particular configuration is from. The manual control panel underneath the
> transport looks like SDS, though the cabinet color is wrong for anything
> pre-Sigma.

    Thanks, Al.  It looked like an Ampex drive, with the triangular vacuum
columns on either side.

    For the member who asked, yes it was a Columbo episode, "A Deadly State
of Mind" from 04/27/1975.  While it is certainly a Hollywood set and not
a real machine room, the equipment appears to be genuine, albeit modified.
The SAGE DMC section has had the neon lamps replaced with incandescant
bulbs, more incandescant bulbs replacing coaxial jacks, and numerous other
alterations.

    I have hundreds of pictures of similar SAGE equipment:

http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Q7/

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Old Technology	http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/